Maybe I'm trying to accustom myself to being up until 8 in the morning!! (Wow God, this is going to be a test) That's my work schedule, 10pm until 8 am... At least I won't be in traffic when I go to work... gotta do what ya gotta do I guess...
But that's not why I was posting. Complacent Christianity has been racking my brain since small group tour last year. This past week at my church we had "Vacation Bible School" (do you guys still have that?) and one thing that bugged me about it and about that church is that it hasn't changed in like 20 years (I should know, I was born into the church) When I was a kid, VBS was the highlight of my summer, and now I just see how no one is really interested in it if they are over 14 ...but then again what 14 year old is interested in anything?
Something that happened which I don't personally agree with was; when the kids were being quizzed on what they had learned the day before... the kids that normally attend the church were not interested at all in answering any questions and were in their own little world and if you dared to bring them back to reality, you were "putting them on blast" and it irritated and hurt me to know that there are a bunch of complacent Christians that don't want to change... Sure there was a glimmer of hope with those who actually got into it and answered questions...but what about the others?
I'm totally gonna date myself here but while I was thinking, it reminded me of "the Neverending Story", when the creature called "The Nothing" is attacking the very imagination and life of everyone and everything. Eventually, the Nothing destroys it all, and there is nothing left. Mainly, because people didn't care anymore.
I wonder if that is how Christianity suffers next. Simply from nothingness, Christianity could be dealt a severe blow.
It bothers me to think about when was the last time I saw smiling faces on those kids when they are at church...maybe you know that look I'm talking about... that "Look of Nothingness" Its not a smile, its not a frown, its a very complacent and apathetic. The joy of God may be in them, but they're doing everything they can from proving its there.
Maybe I need to do something about it, but that's a whole 'nother long story that I don't want to get into
But just think about it, seeing anyone smile nowadays is a rarity. When you see someone smile, its immediately noticeable. The smile catches on, and it spreads happiness, albeit just for a fleeting moment, but the happiness is spread.
Does anyone else feel like this? What do you think?
*yawn* hmmm...mabye I'm shutting down after all...
Saturday, July 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
smiles are always needed, and I am in need of a hug from you! Oh, and guess what: Matt bought us Disney passes. So here is my idea, either I can come to you and we can meet a d-land a party it up or if your in riverside we can hang out? we are in need of a date! what is your new job aye? how exciting...but my phone is dead and so I am in the process of buying a new one. so until then, i don't know, other than the web, how to stay in touch.
Post a Comment