Lately I've been thinking a lot about the distinction Jesus made between body, mind, and soul (more commonly known as heart). Ive also been thinking a lot about the lack of distinction between the three among our culture. The three have their fair share of sins, which are equally as distinct as the heart, body, and mind. I've noticed how public certain sins are, making them easily seen by all, and how some sins are hidden so deep that no one sees them. I have to think that is why Proverbs says, All mans ways are innocent to him, but God looks at the heart.
Sins of the body are by far the most obvious. Drunkenness, lying, cheating, stealing, infidelity, drug addiction, and violence these all are very easily spotted, and very easily proven to be true. They are also the easiest to overcome. I by no means say they are easy to overcome, as they can plague a person for life, but they are by far the easiest. This is namely because they're almost always brought to the light, and once exposed there are many factors that lead to the recovery and prevention of these sins. Even the least spiritual people look down on them and discourage them. Friends or enemies both lead to the discouragement of these sins, and some can even be forcefully controlled, such as being sentanced to jail. Sins of the mind can often be treated with counseling, therapy, guidance from wiser people, and in some cases with medical attention. Sins of the heart most certainly cannot be treated by any human, only God can change ones heart. But the body is a wicked thing, with wicked desires... these sins often do not reflect one's heart. Thus the reason Paul said, "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." Sins of the flesh are horrible, but certainly the least severe of the three.
Sins of the mind are more severe than sins of the flesh, but still not the worst. Some minds work better than others, so these are very relative. One can have a weak mind but a good heart, and this is a very common thing, from simple lack of experience to mental illnesses. Not to harbor too much on it but Jesus says, To whom much is given, much is expected. Some minds simply do not work as well as others, However, sins of the mind are still not so difficult to notice with simple attention. The most obvious way to notice these sins are to listen to ones words. Thus the Proverb, where words are many, sin is not absent. Controlling ones tongue is a good thing, but when used incorrectly, it can mask sins of the mind and be devastating. Often holding ones tongue quickly turns into the downward spiral of lying. I've learned, when sins of my mind are exposed, those who love me jump in and encourage me to stop, and those who hate me slander me to the point of wanting to stop. Both are effective, although insulting often tears ones confidence down, leading to even more weakness. But again, weakness of mind does not always reflect a weakness of heart, and can be treated with the help of others, and simply life experience.
Sins of the heart are by far the most dangerous. These include pride, judgment, hatred, bitterness, jealousy, and things of the sort. These sins go deep into ones soul, and are extremely hard to treat. While an alcoholic can have his drink taken from him, a criminal can be locked up, one with a weak mind can have counseling or medical help, the only person who can treat sins of the heart is God. There is no human control over ones heart. Honestly, I dont know how God goes about this, or how a person even gets God to do this. As "sweet-tempered" as people think I am, this is one callused heart. It takes alot of time with God to not just fly off the handle when I really REALLY want to. Plus other issues that I deal with myself... I have a strong feeling this is why God has said, You will be judged to the measure at which you judge others... and I can't fairly judge someone else's wickedness when I am wicked myself. Quite frankly self control and mental stability have never been my strong point. I know that I am FAR from perfect (sometimes I feel I'm FAR from the person other people see)- if I judge anyone for anything, Im going to hell in a hand basket. :) The one thing I must keep in check is my heart. As long as I forgive others for their sins, I'll be forgiven (which is no excuse to keep sinning... you'll be miserable if you do). Vice versa, Jesus said if I do not forgive every sin commited against me, God will not forgive mine... which again means hell in a jiffy. Sins of the body and mind are cured with maturity, with learning from mistakes, and flat out growing up. With dedication and help from others, they're easily overcome. Sins of the heart are often taken to the grave, with pride by far being the most difficult to overcome. Vanity is by far Satans favorite sin. Vanity leads to lack of forgiveness, which leads to hell. Vanity is the ultimate sin. (for more on that, read Mere Christianity... C S Lewis is the best with that)
John 8
(The Pharisees) said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" "No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."
Saturday, March 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment